Monday, February 27, 2012

Monday's Menu--Mango Slaw


My stepmother was a vegetarian. After the first night she made dinner for us, my dad whispered to me, “I’ve never seen so much dad-burned rabbit food.” That was the beginning of our alpha-alpha sprout days. Around that time, my best friend looked in the cookie jar on the counter and sadly said, “I remember when this used to be full.” And years later my husband once commented on my parent’s fridge, “I’ve never seen a full fridge without anything to eat before.”

My dad never did learn to appreciate Marie’s vegetables, but I did. I’m not the puritan she was—I like to dress my vegetables up and when I sit down to dinner


I try to remember to have a plate of (mostly) plants. Marie ate only fruits and vegetables, but I try to have two thirds of my meal be (preferably fresh) produce.

Here’s one of my favorite dishes. It’s great with fish or chicken and can even be used in a taco.

MANGO SLAW

4 cups shredded cabbage

1/2 cup shredded carrots

1 fresh mango, cubed

1/2 cup walnut pieces

1 cup fat free sour cream

Mix all ingredients well. Be sure and save as much mango juice as you can for the dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment