Thursday, August 14, 2014

More on My Sugar Fast

At the end of day 5 I got a message from a friend whose husband has a medical condition. She wanted to know more about my sugar fast. So, here's more info:

I try to eat food in it's most natural forms. If it's something prepackaged, I check the nutrition label to make sure it has less than 5 grams of sugar. I can eat all the fruits (which has lots of sugars) and vegetables I want. If I want something sweet, I eat protein bars (many have 1 gram of sugar), sugar free pudding, and you can buy sugar free chocolate chips at Walmart. 

I try to avoid white flour, white rice and white potatoes. Also, I don't drink: alcohol, soda, tea or coffee. I'll take a pain killer about once or twice a year. 

If this seems really overwhelming, try taking it in baby steps--find one small change and focus on it for a week or two. Don't be surprised if you get headaches in the beginning, but I promise that by the end of the first week, you'll feel so much better. 

I know this is supposed to be about your husband, but I also know husbands can be really frustratingly hard to change. From my experience, it's better to change myself and hope he jumps on my bandwagon. Sometimes he does. Here's a picture of me with my husband. I think my expression says a lot. Despite my scowl, I really do love him.

I'm throwing this picture in because I think it's funny.

1 comment:

  1. Day 8. I said I wouldn't fast on national holidays, but I'm looking at Labor Day and wondering if I should skip it.

    ReplyDelete